Intervertebral disk disease or spinal cord disorders are accompanied by a varying degree of weakness and paresis, especially in the hind legs.
Although stimulation with acupuncture and electroacupuncture in particular work very well for dogs suffering from spinal disorders, we do not recommend performing acupressure on the back in these cases. There is a risk of adding further damage to the spinal cord by putting pressure on points along the back!
Nevertheless, there is a selection of points that are safe to treat. You don’t have to use them all. Just chose one per leg depending on the goal you want to achieve.
Acupressure – Spinal disorders
Improve spinal function & pain along the spine
- SI 03 – 1 cun proximal to the pad on the outer side of the front limb.
- BL 40 – the deepest point in the popliteal crease.
- BL 60 – in the deep groove over the hock joint.
- BL 62 – just distal to the malleolus (blue point) when hock joint is flexed at a 90° angle.
- Depending on the degree of the paresis supporting measures have to be taken (rear sling).
- Avoid slippery surfaces!
- No jumping!
- Additional to medical treatment and acupuncture, physio- and hydrotherapy is recommended for rehabilitation from disk disease.